A Functional Capacity Evaluation (FCE) is an in-depth, customised evaluation which combines objective measures and professional clinical judgment to determine an individual’s current functional abilities and limitations.
What the service offers:
- An objective evaluation of functional capacity matched to the demands of the job(s), and/or activities of daily living (ADL).
- An evaluation by an Occupational Therapist who is an accredited functional capacity evaluator.
- An assessment of the effort provided and the reliability of pain and disability reports.
- If appropriate, makes recommendations and a plan for maintenance and/or return to work.
- Advice on the efficacy of current or future rehabilitation.
Who is the service for?
Individuals who are demonstrating restrictions in their functional capacity for work and ADL due to an injury, a health condition and / or disability.
How is the service delivered?
- The evaluation considers the physical, cognitive and/or mental capacities required to carry out the intrinsic functions and demands of the job and/or ADL.
- It is undertaken at a clinic, workplace or in the home.
- At the workplace, the evaluator will incorporate elements of the job, a brief analysis of the job demands (own or alternative roles) and identify any areas of ergonomic concern and remedial action.
The job of the Evaluator
- Structure an evaluation based on the referral questions.
- Uses clinical interview techniques and observes and measures physical, cognitive and/or mental health function.
- To change and adapt the evaluation to assess unexpected behaviour or performance.
- To determine physical effort and the reliability of pain and disability reports.
- To match demonstrated capacity to the demands.
How to refer a case
To arrange a Functional Capacity Evaluation, you can instruct us by the contact details below or by completing the Refer a Case form.
Refer a Case
To refer a case, please select the referral type you require and the appropriate form will be displayed for completion.
If the mandatory information is not know, please add ‘n/a’ into the respective field.
An automated acknowledge will be issued following a successful submission. If you do not receive an automatic acknowledgement, please call 01698 207 755 to confirm that the referral has been received.
Type of Referral
Proclaim Care - Rehabilitation Specialists
Obair Associates - Vocational Rehabilitation Specialists
Please select a form